Eight Things Body and Mind Do While You Sleep
You must have heard that a “day without a nap is like a cupcake without frosting”.
Both body and mind are programmed machines, and sleeping is the only way to enhance their capability. That is why you must always try to invest in healthy sleep.
Here is what you should do
- Buy a reliable memory foam; check some here https://www.newsweek.com/amplify/best-memory-foam-mattress
- Keep your phone away while you go to sleep.
- Exercise daily.
What happen when we sleep?
We are naturally unconscious while sleeping, so we cannot comprehend what happens when one is asleep. This article will help you understand what changes your mind and body experience at night do when you retire.
1. Your body releases melatonin.
During sleep, your body temperature decreases. This decrease in body temperature will ultimately cause an increase in melatonin production.
Melatonin is good for the following reasons.
- It will mend the sleep-wake cycle, the heart rhythms, and the functions of the kidney.
- According to researches, reduced production of melatonin can be a cause for severe health issues. So, in a nutshell, a sound sleep protects your mind and body from chronic diseases.
2. Your body cleanses itself while you sleep.
Sleep deprivation can cause an accumulation of toxins in your body. According to research, our brain gets time to function like a detoxifier while we sleep. According to scientists, a bunch of brain cells performs the cleansing function.
This is how it happens.
- The reduced release of stress hormones, like cortisol.
- When there is a lesser amount of stress hormones in your blood, the brain will start cleaning the dead cells and toxins.
- Natural rejuvenation of mind and body.
3. Helps in weight control
You must have experienced it when you stay awake late at night; you feel very hungry. It can lead to weight gain. So, it means that when you sleep, you are actually controlling your weight.
How sleep-deprivation cause weight gain?
When we do not get proper sleep, our organs tend to release stress hormones. These hormones can induce starving. You will feel hungry and will ultimately eat something.
We all dream while we sleep. So, our mind is almost free during our sleep. These dreams can sometimes help us build great notions about our life, giving us positive energies.
5. Your height increases
All tall people must have loved to sleep. When you sleep, your spinal cords get to relax. This relaxation causes an increase in your height. The discs of the spinal cord are naturally decompressed. Moreover, sleep is also essential to rehydrate one’s spinal cord, increasing your height.
6. The mysterious jerks
It is a very common thing; while we sleep, we feel a sudden jerk. It is because our muscles start to contract involuntarily. These jerks are to relocate your stressed muscles.
7. Your skin gets healthy.
For youthful skin, it is essential to get a sound sleep. While we sleep our skin, cells produce collagen responsible for the skin’s youthfulness and elasticity.
8. Waking up several times
On average, we wake up 15 times per hour. These moments of wakefulness and sleep are very brief and momentary. Thus, most of us do not remember these.
Sleep is a medicine, both for the mind and body. An appropriate sleep schedule is essential for a healthy life as sleep deprivation can lead to several acute health problems.